Monday, February 20, 2012

My Favorite Pottery Books; "Val Cushing's Handbook" 내 좋아하는 도자기 책; "발 싱 핸드북"

I'm going to start my pottery book collection with one of my favorites. It is called "Cushing's Handbook". It also goes by the name "The Orange Handbook". It is the single best source on how to alter glazes and clay bodies. The book covers the properties of different clays and other raw materials. It also talks about absorbtion and shrinkage rates. There is a lot information about various types of clay slips. It discusses firing schedules and other technical information about kilns and firing. It also has some basic recipes for clay bodies and information on how to adapt them to your particular needs.

The most important part of this book concerns glazes. Val cushing is known as one of the premier glaze chemists of American ceramics. He explains how different raw materials act in glazes. He discusses how to alter glazes to work at different firing temperatures. He also provides many base glazes that you can add oxides and colorants to form your own glazes. He goes into depth on how to test glazes.

This book contains much more information than what I have provided. If you want a book that has pretty pictures, this isn't it. It also doesn't give you a set of glazes and tell you how they will look on your pot. This book is for potters who are a little more advanced and want to learn how to formulate their own glazes and clay bodies. Still, there is something in this book that every potter will find valuable.

Now for the bad news! This book is almost impossible to obtain, unless you are a student at Alfred University in New York. There are a couple copies of this book on Amazon. They are currently selling for between $150 to $180 a piece. No pottery book is worth that, not even this one. Still, this book is so valuable that there are people willing to pay that much. I found out that you can contact Mr. Cushing by email and he will sell you a copy. In 2008, I paid $25 plus $3 shipping. About 3 months ago, I helped someone buy a copy of the Cushing Handbook. She told me that her email was returned in less than 24 hours with instructions on buying the book. I had the same experience. I'm not sure what she paid, but I'm sure that the price has gone up a few dollars. To order the book you need to email Mr. Cushing at cushingve@frontier.net . He should contact you and tell you how to receive the book. I paid by check and it did not take long for me to receive the book. He could be out of town, so it's possible his response could be delayed for awhile. I promise that you will be glad that you ordered this book.

내 즐겨찾기 중 하나 내 도자기도 서 컬렉션을 시작 하 겠 어. "싱의 수첩" 라고 합니다. 그것은 또한 "오렌지 핸드북" 이름으로 갑니다. 광택 및 점토 시체를 변경 하는 방법에 대 한 최고의 소스입니다. 책 다른 점토와 다른 원료의 물성을 커버. 그것은 또한 기 및 수축 률에 대 한 협상. 클레이 전표의 다양 한 유형에 대 한 많은 정보가 있다. 그것은 마 및 발사에 대 한 발사 일정 및 기타 기술 정보를 설명합니다. 또한 클레이 시체 및 귀하의 특정 요구에 적응 하는 방법에 대 한 정보에 대 한 몇 가지 기본적인 요리법 있다.

유약을 우려 하는이 책의 가장 중요 한 부분. 발 싱의 미국 도자기의 최고의 유약 화학자 중 하나로 알려져 있다. 그는 설명 하는 방법을 다른 원료 유약 행동. 그는 다른 발사 온도에서 작동 하는 유약을 변경 하는 방법을 설명 합니다. 그는 또한 많은 유약 산화물 및 나만의 유약을 형성 하는 색상을 추가할 수 있는 기반을 제공 합니다. 그는 깊이에 광택을 테스트 하는 방법에 간다.

이 책에는 무엇을 제공 해야 보다 훨씬 더 많은 정보가 포함 되어있습니다. 예쁜 그림이 있는 책을 원하는 경우이 그것을 하지 않습니다. 그것은 또한 하지 않습니다 당신이 유약 세트 주고 당신에 게 그들이 어떻게 귀하의 냄비에 보일 것 이다. 이 책은 좀 더 고급 하 고 그들의 자신의 광택 및 점토 시체를 공식화 하는 방법을 배우고 싶어요도 공입니다. 하지만, 거기에 뭔가가 모든 포터 가치를 찾을 것입니다이 책입니다.

나쁜 소식은 위한 지금 인기 상품! 뉴욕에서 알프레드 대학교 학생 않는이 책을 얻으려면 거의 불가능 하다. 아마존에이 책의 복사본을 몇 가지 있습니다. 그들은 현재 판매에 대 한 사이 $150 ~ $180 조각. 아니 도자기 책은이 한도는 가치 이다. 그래도,이 책은 너무 거기에 사람들이 많이 지불할 가치가. 씨 커 싱이 이메일로 문의하실 수 있습니다 그리고 그는 당신이 복사본을 판매할 예정 이다 밖으로 발견. 2008 년, 나는 $25 더하기 $3 운송 지불. 약 3 개월 전, 난 싱 핸드북의 복사본을 구입 하는 사람을 왔다. 그녀는 책을 구입에 그녀의 전자 우편 지침과 함께 24 시간 이내에 반환 했다 말해 줬 어. 나는 동일한 경험을 했다. 그녀가 무엇을 지급 모르겠어요 하지만 가격은 몇 달러까지 사라 졌 확신 해요. 책을 주문 하려면 씨 싱 cushingve@frontier.net에서 이메일을 해야 합니다. 그는 당신에 게 연락 하 고 당신에 게 책을 수신 하는 방법을 해야 합니다. 체크에 의해 지불 하 고 그것은 오래 걸리지 않을 않았다 책을 받을 저를 위해. 그는 마을의 수, 그래서 그것을 가능한 그의 응답 잠시 지연 될 수 있습니다. 이 책을 주문한 다행 될 것을 약속 드립니다.

2 comments:

  1. Due to your post on Flickr I wrote to Val and Elsie Cushing. Requesting a copy of the ORANGE BOOK. I received a very kind reply in a matter of a day or so. The BOOK is now in the post and on its way to me. I can't wait and thanks to Val's kindness and your informative posting I shall have a copy that I can read and study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to love it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete