Wednesday, January 27, 2016

My Trip To Japan: Shibuya Crossing Small Children Sculpture

Near the Hachiko Statue at Shibuya Crossing there is a sculpture of several children at play. Like the Hachiko sculpture, it is a good place to meet up with friends. You might notice that the kids have several shiny areas on them. I think this is due to the Japanese rubbing the statue for good luck or healing powers. I saw this a lot in Japan. It was really noticeable when you came across a statue of an ox, which I think is supposed to symbolize wealth.

The most prominent rubbed area appeared to be the head, maybe for intelligence or to cure hangovers. Knowing the area I suspect it is to cure hangovers. I think the foot is the next most rubbed area. Close behind would have to be one of the little boys' penis. I don't really have a comment on that one.

As both an experiment and an experience, I rubbed the foot of one of the statues. My right foot gives me problems sometimes. Three months later, I do not detect any appreciable benefit. Maybe it takes longer to work. I'll wait and see.


You can see a small amount of trash around the sculpture. This will be picked up shortly. It is extremely rare to see trash on the streets of Tokyo. The men and women who keep the city streets clean do an amazing job. The same can be said for the ones who keep up with the insides of the train stations. Many people stay out all night drinking in the Shibuya area. This is an area where they sit and wait for the first train to come in the morning. So, some need to get some coffee or food in their system before they start a new work or school day.

No comments:

Post a Comment