Friday, January 1, 2016

Abstract Photos: New Year's Day On Main Street In Houston

I was up early this morning putting one of my New Year's resolutions into action. I want to practice much more with my camera. I am always wishing that I had brought my camera with me, but most of the time it is resting comfortably in its bag.

I decided to start off with a few abstract photos on day 1. I used to love shooting this type of photos. I shot about 500 photos this morning and as I looked them over I started remembering some of things  that I learned in the past. I need to be more aware of my exposure settings when I am shooting long duration photos. Also, I need to remember to place the center point of the lens in the prominent feature of the scene when I rotate the camera body by hand. I need to practice my rotation speed and consistency. Plus, several other things.

As I delete most of the photos from today's shoot, I will post a few and maybe they will give someone a few ideas to go out and play around. You can do a lot more with your camera than just take photos of people and things.

These can probably most easily classified as swirl photos. You simply rotate the camera body as you take the photo. You want to use a low iso setting like 100 or 200 and set the shutter speed from something like 1/15 to 2 seconds depending on what you are trying to accomplish. I leave the aperature up to the camera. You may have to make an adjustment if the photo preview is too light or too dark.






These photos are probably best classified as linear. You use the same settings as above but move your camera in a straight line.




The photos are probably best classified as chaotic. On these you just move your camera around randomly. When these work, which is not that often, they are my favorites. These are not very good.




There is one more type but I didn't have any for this scene. I have always caused them eye bleeders, but I don't know why. They are just really uncomfortable to look at for more than a few seconds. Almost immediately they cause your eyes to start tearing up. I like them but almost no one else that I know does.

No comments:

Post a Comment