Monday, January 11, 2016

Houston: 2016 Chevron Houston Marathon

This Sunday, Houston will host the Chevron Marathon and Aramco Half Marathon. I am actually signed up to run myself. Unfortunately, I hurt my heal on a run shortly after I got back from Japan in November. I was really looking forward to my first long distance race. I ran on rainy days, a day when it was 107, and on mornings when the air was so cold it burned my lungs. I ran over 13.2 miles on two separate occasions. I will sign up for the 2017 marathon as soon as entries start being accepted.

I live about a 2 minute walk from the mile 5 marker. I thought of volunteering for that section of the race, but I think I have a better way to help the runners. My plan is to shoot as many photos as possible and post them to my Flickr account. Then, anyone can search the photos and hopefully find themselves in one or two. I think this would be a good thing to do for every marathon. I will take pictures at the 4.7 mile mark. This is where the marathon and half marathon runners turn right from Gray/ Inwood onto Kirby. I will keep shooting until the last few runners pass by. Then, I will walk up Kirby to where it intersects with Shepherd. I think it is the mile 23 marker. I will stay there and take photos until the road is reopened to traffic.

I am sure that I will take several thousand photos. I will take some time and do some long exposures and other fun photos for myself. I will try to get as many quality photos of the 30,000 runners as I can. I just hope my batteries and memory cards hold out until the end.

My Flickr account is www.flickr.com/burntdirt

No comments:

Post a Comment