Wednesday, December 2, 2015

My Trip To Japan: Travelling Between Tokyo And Narita Airport

I do not think there is a better way to travel between Tokyo and Narita Airport than the NEX train. It is not cheap but I think it is a fair price for all of the advantages over the other modes of transportation. For example, taxis are very expensive and have to deal with lots of traffic. Buses are cheap but can take a long time to travel between Tokyo and Narita. JR Lines are also fairly inexpensive but they are very crowded and it is hard to manage all of you luggage. So for me, the NEX is the only choice.

I actually chose my hotel location by making sure that it was on the NEX track. I stayed at Shinagawa Station. The cost is 3190 yen per trip from Narita and Shinagawa Station. That is about $27 US. There is a round trip discount if you are staying less than 14 days. Unfortunately, I was not able to get the discounted rate since I was there for 17 days.

There were only 3 or 4 people per car when I rode the NEX. Since the tickets are reserved, you will have plenty of room to sit. My biggest piece of luggage was 26 inches tall and easily fit in the overhead rack. On my trip back to Narita, I just left it on the floor in front of an empty seat. If someone gets on that is assigned that seat, then just move it. The extra cost is easily justified with the ease of handling your luggage.

I think the trip between Shinagawa Station and Narita Airport took about an hour and a half. The train runs every half hour or so. I'm sure it runs more often during peak times and less often during slow times. You get extra large comfortable seats and it is a smooth ride. I highly recommend the NEX.




The NEX is fast.


Another blurry NEX photo.


Inside a NEX car. Note the large overhead luggage rack.


Line up marker on the train platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment