Tuesday, December 29, 2015

JJ's House Wedding Dress



The front of the dress.

The back of the dress.

My wife and I got married in July of 2013. We were married at sunset in the mountains surrounding Sedona, Arizona. We still think that it was the perfect wedding. It was MUCH more affordable than getting married in our hometown of Houston, Texas. We were able to combine the wedding and honeymoon all in one. It was great and we plan to renew our vows every 5 or 10 years in the red rock mountains of Sedona.

Right after our engagement we started pricing wedding dresses. I was absolutely shocked, even at the prices of used and rental wedding dresses. Plus, my wife did not want to wear a dress that someone had already gotten married in. I desperately started searching for alternatives. I ran across JJ's House while searching the internet. The reviews for the website were really mixed with more than half being negative. After watching a few television shows on Bridezillas, I doubt most brides would be happy with a Vera Wang custom fit gown.

The website had just about every style of wedding dresses. Plus, the prices were incredibly reasonable. I decided that we would order a dress and if it didn't work out, then we would be out less than $250. We could always donate the dress to some charity to help out someone who was really in need.

After my wife picked out the style, I measured her very carefully according to the instructions on the website. I figured it was easier to reduce the size of the dress than expand it. So, I added just a bit to each measurement.

The dress arrived about 3 weeks from the order, if I remember right. Since the dress was shipped from China, it had to clear customs. There was also a small charge for the customs clearance that I had to pay the post office when I picked it up.

We were both really nervous as we opened the box. We had no idea if it would fit or if the quality would be poor. We were extremely surprised when the dress was almost perfect. The dress was actually much better than we had hoped. Plus, I was very happy that we would save a lot of money that we could put towards our wedding and honeymoon.

The only problem with the dress was that the lace top was way too small. So, I let the seamstress at our local dry cleaner remove the lace top and make a couple other minor adjustments. She also pressed the dress for free. She did a fantastic job. So, the total cost of the dress, shipping, customs, alterations, and pressing was around $350!!!

If we would have had a little more time, I would have had the sequins removed and replaced with Swarovski crystals. I think just about anyone could have done this themselves.

I can't promise that everyone will be happy with their purchase from JJ's House. However, like all things in life "Your Mileage May Vary". It does provide those brides on a budget an affordable way to pick up a dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment