Monday, December 7, 2015

My Trip To Japan: My First And Last Visit To A Manga Store: Mandrake


On one of my last days in Tokyo I went to Akihabara. I think it is also called Electric Town. Everything dealing with electronics, video games, comic books, maid cafes, and much more are located here. I've never read a manga, or Japanese comic book but I hear a lot about them from my nephew and some friends. I decided to go to Mandrake because I was told that they had used magazines and I am sort of cheap.

I did have a little trouble finding the place but thankfully I had Google maps. I think the store is about 5 stories high. The first floor had some awesome old Japanese metal toys. There were a couple that I gave some thought to buying. Sorry for the poor out of focus photo.


As you keep climbing floors it keeps creepier. Eventually you will see graphic comic books like you have never seen before and hope you never see again. (Sounds like an old man wrote that!) The creepiness doesn't just stop there, there is a lot more to see. Of course, you can't unsee things. So go there with caution if you are easily affended.


It was not easy to get a photo on this floor without including something that was offensive.

One of the things that stands out are the body pillows. These will be human sized with a print of a sexy animae or manga character. I guess you cuddle with it and who knows what else. They also seemed to be very expensive. I guess that the people that want this item are willing to pay well for it.

I am sure that animae and manga are great fun. My only problem is with the explicit items that are related to children. I hope that those will be removed some day in the not too distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment