Monday, December 21, 2015

My Trip To Japan: Takoyaki (Octopus Balls)

One of the most famous foods that visitors to Japan want to eat is takoyaki. Takoyaki is a wheat flour ball with a piece of octopus inside. They are usually served with takoyaki sauce and green onions on top. Also, they are EXTREMELY hot. I would say they are about the same temperature as the sun!

I only ate takoyaki one time in the Dotonbori area of Osaka. There are many sidewalk stands and restaurants that serve takoyaki. You must eat at the sidewalk stands to get an authentic Japanese experience. It is a lot of fun to watch the cooks make the octopus filled balls.

Personally, I was a little disappointed in the taste of takoyaki. However, I would eat it again if I ever get the chance to travel to japan again. I thought the taste was a little bland, even with the sauce. I also think that the batter could be a different consistency. I wonder what they would taste like with a corn meal batter.

Most people loved eating takoyaki. I liked it but didn't love it. I didn't eat it a second time because there were just too many foods that I wanted to try while I was in Japan. It is definitely something that every visitor to Japan should try. Plus, it is a bargain at 500 yen or about $4 US.



Here is a big tray of takoyaki cooking.


Fresh made takoyaki, molten hot, ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment