Sunday, November 15, 2015

My Trip To Japan: Sushi Dai In Tsukiji Market- Best Sushi Meal Ever!

I have read many accounts about how Sushi Dai in Tsukiji Market is one of the top places to eat in Tokyo. On my last day in Japan I set out to find out if this was so. Long wait times are the norm for Sushi Dai. So, I set my alarm for 3:30 am, yes 3:30 am! I made it down to Shinagawa Station at 4:00. Unfortunately, the Yamanote line was not running yet. The doors opened at 4:12 but the first train didn't show up until 4:33. Then, I had to change from the Yamanote Line to the Toei Line at Daimon Station. The first train there showed up at 5:18. I was finally able to get in line at 5:30 am.




I think a normal wait time is around 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Somehow, I came on the wrong day. My wait time was close to 4 1/2 hours. You have to be super motivated to put that amount of time in but I can whole heartedly say that it was worth it. I will do it again if I ever find myself in Japan. If possible, come with someone to stand in line with. Then, you can walk around the market a little while the other person holds your place. It is really difficult by yourself.

Periodically a woman will walk down the line and ask how many people are in your group. When you get within about 12 people from the door she will ask you if you want the 11 piece meal for 4,000 yen or the 7 piece meal for 2,600 yen. You should absolutely choose the 4,000 yen omakase meal. 4,000 yen is about $33 US at the current exchange rate of 120+ yen per dollar.



Once inside you'll see that there are 3 sushi chefs. Each chef will be serving 4 to 5 people depending upon how the groups entered the restaurant. First, you'll be served a hot wet hand towel and a cup of hot green tea. Shortly afterwards you will receive a cup of miso soup. The miso had some cut up herring in it which gave it a rich flavor but it had a lot of small bones in it. I enjoyed it.



Finally, you first piece of sushi arrives, fatty tuna. It just melts in you mouth. Over the next 45 minutes you will receive another 9 pieces of sushi and 4 small sections of sushi rolls. Your chef will choose your fish based on what is seasonal. All of the chefs were personal and each appeared to know a little of several different languages. At the 12 seat table there were Americans, Koreans, Japanese, Filipinos, a couple from Thailand, and a couple from Spain. They were able to communicate with everyone. I got to talk to them for quite awhile when I mentioned that my wife makes sushi at one of Houston's grocery stores and my brother in law has been a sashimi chef for 40 years in South Korea.

Fatty Tuna


Sea Bream

Red Snapper

Sea Urchin

Spanish Mackerel

Red Clam (Still Moving)

Omelet

Saury

Salmon Eggs

Tuna Roll and Cucumber Roll

Marinated Tuna

Eel

Finally, you get to pick your final piece from the menu. I choose another piece of fatty tuna. Most other people choose this as well. I know one lady picked scallop and another picked some other type of shellfish. You then pay, say your best thank you in Japanese, and walk out the door past all of the other people who have been waiting in line for hours.



Fatty Tuna

I was really impressed that Sushi Dai did not rush the customers. They could easily crank out twice as many meals but the quality of the experience would suffer. Maybe this is why people wait in line for hours and would do it again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment