Thursday, October 22, 2015

Overseas Debit Card Fees

I just called my card companies and got them authorized to use in Japan. I found out that my debit card charges the following fees:

3% foreign transaction fee
$5 Foreign ATM fee
Plus any fees charged by the ATM in Japan

I think I will try not to use any cards when I am overseas. I only used cash on my two trips to South Korea. I may have to that again. However, even with cash there is still a small fee to exchange cash. I think I paid a 1 or 2 percent premium on most foreign cash exchanges. I got lucky and a couple times I got a higher rate than what I saw online. Cash exchange stores were everywhere in South Korea. I don't know if there are as many in Japan. I have heard that my hotel gives one of the better rates.  I guess I'll see in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment