Wednesday, November 18, 2015

My TripTo Japan: Tsukiji Market Sushi

The sushi that I ate at Sushi Dai in Tsukiji Market was one of the highlights of my trip to Japan. However, you do not need to eat at Sushi Dai in order to taste some of the best sushi in the world. On my first trip to Tsukiji Market I stood in line for about an hour. The line did not move one inch. About  that time, an employee from Sushi Dai walked down the line and gave time estimates for everyone. He said that the area where I was standing had about another 4 hours of waiting time. I  didn't need any more convincing that I needed to find another place to eat.

There are numerous restaurants in the outer market at Tsukiji. I just walked around and choose one with a nice atmosphere and a good omakase menu. I settled on a place with a white banner across the door. Unfortunately, I didn't get the name of the restaurant or a picture of the banner. Honestly, every place to eat in Tsukiji is awesome. If not, it would have been closed a long time ago.

The omakase sushi breakfast that I ordered cost 2500 yen. That is around  $20 US at the present exchange rate of 123 yen per dollar. The meal consisted of hot green tea and miso soup. There were 14 pieces of nigiri in the set. It was as good as any sushi that I have ever eaten.





No comments:

Post a Comment